Sunday, May 12, 2013

Elizabeth Norman some thoughts:



I have been thinking a lot about my mother these last few days.  I used some of the words from a talk by Elder Packer from the last conference in one of my spiritual thoughts this last week.  Quoting from his talk “I have come to know that faith is a real power, not just an expression of belief. There are few things more powerful than the faithful prayers of a righteous mother.”  The thought of mom knelling and praying in her room came into my mind.  I’m sure she was praying for me.  She didn’t have a lot she could do to control me, but she could pray.  I also remember that she would bear her testimony every fast day.  I think Alice and maybe Van can remember this.  I know Alice and I were embarrassed that she would get up every month.  She again could not do a lot but she could bear her testimony.  I know now that was the beginning of my testimony.  I know more than once or twice I had to wipe tears from my eyes as she bore her testimony.  She had a profound influence in my life, maybe more than her other children.  When Van was on his mission and Alice was at BYU, it was just mom and me.  Often she would get home from work tired and would take me down to Skaggs at the 5 points mall.  They had a little snack counter and we would eat hot dogs.  She probably didn’t like them but I did.  She worked hard and was getting along in years.  She was probably around 57 or 58.  I know Alice always thought she made her do a lot of the house work and she probably did because she was so tired.  She never complained and was always faithful in her callings as a visiting teacher.  Later after we were married and she came to live with us first on Quince then on 13th East and finally on Douglas.  My wife loved Grandma Norman a lot because if ever my wife and I were having a disagreement she would always take Chris’ side.  On one day we were driving and my wife wanted me to stop the car and let her go into an insurance company that had their offices in her father’s old family home on 3900 South.  I was embarrassed that she would just walk in and say can I look at this building it use to be where my father grew up and I did not want to stop.  Grandma Norman said to me, “John what is your problem it is no foam off you beer.”  Needless to say I stopped and my wife went inside and they let her look around at the old Cornwall family home.  That is just one example of her siding with Chris.  She was generous to a fault.  Often she would volunteer our house for an activity or she would agree that Chris or I would do something for someone else.  In my mind I can still here her saying to me, “John you don’t feel that way.”  She visited Delle Edmonds as her visiting teacher and asked if there was anything she could do for her.  Delle said well you could do my laundry.  So Grandma Norman brought her laundry home and did it.  She was very unselfish and thought that everyone should be the same.  I admire her for the many things she taught me by how she lived.  She loved her kids and grandkids, family was important to her.  So on this mother’s day I pay tribute to my mom Elizabeth Bader Norman and thank my Heavenly Father for blessing me with such a great mom.  And I thank her for praying for me and for bearing her testimony every month.  Much love mom,  your son John.

No comments:

Post a Comment